Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Drive Like An Egyptian

Hi everyone, this is my first post on "Chronicles of Cairo". This blog is about the wonders, thrills and chills of driving in Egypt, I am no Schumacher myself but I probably have more first hand experience than you do!! Everyday that I go out, whether to my university or just out and about, there is always something amazing that my freindly-neighbourhood-safe-driving-law-abiding-egyptians are trying to pull off. For some reason I seem to be one of the few people here in Egypt who know the purpose of the mirrors in the car!!! It must be that most of the people who drive prefer living on the wildside and getting adreniline rushes from all the high risk manoeuvers that they do. Being considered a crash-dummy by my fellow drivers is not the only thing that makes driving perilous, the wonderful streets dont make matters any better with all the holes and needless street bumps. I wish I could say that I know every nook and cranny of the streets in Cairo but unfortunetly I don't, once I find a path to my destination that involves no holes, no bumps and the presence of some lamposts that actualy have bulbs that are functional, I stick with it. Being a lot English and a bit of Egyptian, I know how hard it can be for people who are coming from abroad to adjust to the wacky ways of life here, or if you are just starting to drive and want to know what you will have to put up with while driving in Cairo, I will try to pass on my "wisdom" and "knowledge" of Egyptian driving (if there is any such thing).

1 Comments:

Blogger hypnosis said...

I totally agree that driving in egypt stinks and that we are suffering from wrekless drivers and chaotic streets.The thing is we don't seem to be doing anything about it. I do drive in cairo, and I never stick to the rules, not because I don't like to, but because I don't even get the chance.

3:51 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home