Sunday, November 12, 2006

Curse of the Pharaohs

I went to the pyramids on Friday with the people in my group to go shoot a project for one of my subjects at university, I must have went to the pyramids at least 8 times before (every time one of my relatives from England come I have to give them the grand tour of Egypt, and the pyramids is always the first stop). This was my first time actually driving there myself and naturally I had no clue how to get there. After asking my dad for directions I had a rough idea how to get there, a rough idea. During the trip I was asked whether I knew where we are, and of course I replied, “of course I do” where in reality it was the first time I had ever seen this route before, but we got there eventually. When we started making our way around the pyramids I saw a girl who must have been about 8 years old doing some karate training by the pyramid, her instructor was standing next to her shouting out orders and making her do one handed push-ups (I can just about do normal push-ups). Intrigued by what I saw so I decided to ask the man why he was training her in front of the pyramids, the guy told me with the utmost seriousness: “She has a championship coming up, so she is absorbing the pharaoh’s strength”. I was left absolutely speechless, I thought that this guy was pulling my leg but he had total conviction in what he had just told me. Moving on, most of the tourists we tried to interview, or the ones that I tried to get hold of, were very unsociable and unapproachable. When I asked an old looking man and his wife to interview them (thinking that old people are usually friendly), the geezer didn’t actually say anything but he made this weird grunting noise which I considered a “no”, the way he reacted made me think that I had asked him to give me a piggy-back ride around the pyramids!!

I know this post doesn’t have much do with driving so I’ll just tell you something that I saw today while out: two taxis driving next to each other, suddenly I find the taxi driver on the right and the person sitting in the passenger seat on the taxi to the left start shaking hands while moving in the middle of the road!!

1 Comments:

Blogger menna mourad said...

That was a very interesting trip, I actually do believe that the curse of the pharaohs was upon us, I mean the whole project crumbling like that :'(
However, the tourists were really nice, you just stumbled upon the grumpy ones, the others we interviewed were actually cheerful, were in love with Egypt, and so nothing wrong with it. *Sigh* failed project!

10:32 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home